In 1995, Manana formed a music appreciation group called the ‘Baithak’. This format allows listeners to savour Hindustani classical and devotional music in the manner in which it was meant to be heard. The performer sits surrounded by the audience rendering compositions without the aid of a microphone in an informal setting. The physical proximity between the performer and listener creates a closeness and warmth, making for an unforgettable musical experience. Manana hopes to make Baithaks a regular feature. Sponsorship is being sought to meet the expenses of organising this event.
Manana Baithak Series 2007-2008
- 21 December, 2008 – Mir Mukhtiyar Ali and party performed Sufi music in the Ashok Amphitheatre as a part of the Sufi evening of the prestigious Delhi International Arts Festival
- 19 December, 2008- Mir Vasu Khan and party performed Sufi music in Miranda House, Delhi University as part of the Delhi International Arts Festival
- 18 December, 2008 – Manana in collaboration with Lok kala Manch organised a concert of Sufi and Bhakti music by Vasu Khan and his group at Vasuki Auditorium
- 28 February, 2008 – A musical evening by Ustad Iqbal Khan of the Delhi Gharana was organized at Manana in collaboration with Ms. Sadhana Vohra (Psychological Foundations Trust)
- 6th January, 2008 – Manana presented an evening of Sufi music by Mir Mukhtiyar Ali, the 26th generation of hereditary musicians from Pugal, carrying forward the tradition of singing Sufiana kalaam, at Indian Habitat Centre.
- 10th October, 2007 – Manana in partnership with Deshkal society held a concert at Sufi music by the Mirs of Pugal at India International Centre, New Delhi in 2007, with the musicians that were conducted as part of the Music of the Mirs Project.
- 25th March, 2005 – Runa De, Disciple of Pandit K.G Shinde & Pandit Sunil Bose of the Agra Gharana.
- 6th December, 2004 – Ms Kumkum Lal – Senior disciple of Guru Kelucharan Mahapatra, presented extracts of Jaideva’s Geet Govindam through abhinaya in the Odissi Dance Form. Srimati Susheela Ambike, retired Sanskrit Lecturer of Delhi University – Linguist and Connoisseur of music and the arts, was the Speaker.
- 10th October, 2004 – Ustad Sharafat Hussain Khan Niyazi of the Agra – Atrauli Gharana.
- 13th August, 2004 – Rare music from the personal collection of a member was presented.
- 9th April, 2004 – An evening of music with Hemang Mehta.
- 20th March 2004 – The first Baithak of the calendar 2004 and the 11 th of the Series was held at Manana. Ms Sunanda Sharma, pupil of Padma Bhushan Girija Devi – Banaras Gharana performed.
- 21th March, 2003 – Shri Ojesh Pratap Singh performed in memory of eminent musicologist, Shri Raghav R. Menon
- January 9, 1998 Mita Pandit of the Gwalior Gharana
Manana has also offered financial and organisational support to several dance dramas which have been performed at leading theatres in the national capital.